Ritsumeikan Center for Game Studies, Ritsumeikan University
Calling for original research papers on Japanese videogames, game culture and related media.
New Deadline, October 31th, 2021.
The Ritsumeikan Center for Game Studies (RCGS) is pleased to announce the publication of the 4th issue of the new academic journal Replaying Japan, which covers a wide range of topics around Japanese videogames, gaming culture and related media. We are interested in contributions from researchers, developers and practitioners in related areas for what will be the 4th issue of Replaying Japan.
Replaying Japan Journal Vol. 4
- Theme of the Journal: Research on videogames, game culture and related media in Japan or related to Japan.
- Expected contributors:
- Researchers and developers interested in videogames, gaming culture and related media associated with Japan.
- Researchers and developers interested more generally in Asian game culture that is connected to Japan.
- Categories of Submissions:
We accept three types of submissions:
- Original Research Articles:
Papers presenting new research with academic or technical value. These are to be peer reviewed following a double-blind process.
- Research Notes, Commentary and Reviews:
Activity reports, research proposals, commentary and reviews with academic or technical value. These are reviewed by the Editors.
Translations into English of important Japanese articles or documents. Translations should be prefaced with a short critical introduction that contextualizes the original. These are reviewed by the Editors.
In addition, the Editors will invite submissions from distinguished developers and practitioners which will be editorially reviewed.
- Language: Japanese or English
- Submission deadline: Monday, September 30th, 2021
- Scheduled publication: March 2022
- Research Paper Formatting Guidelines:
- The main text body is limited to 7,000 words for English, or up to 16,000 characters for Japanese (references are not counted).
- Japanese manuscripts should also have an English title and abstract.
- The abstract should be no more than 300 words in length.
- For the bibliographic format of references, the manuscript should follow the formatting rules of the Chicago Manual of Style (17th ed., Author-Date style.)
- Submission Guidelines:
- Submissions need to be original works that have not been published elsewhere. In certain cases we will accept submissions of translations of papers important to the field.
- Authors need to adhere to the appropriate format and deadline (English/Japanese).
- Authors need to secure copyright clearance for any copyrighted materials included other than short quotations. The author will be responsible for securing a copyright license for longer translations.
- In the manuscript, specify the name of the author (s), affiliation, job title, and e-mail address.
- The manuscript should be submitted in MS Word format via e-mail to the address below.
- Other information:
- The Editors in Chief (Japanese and English), in consultation with the Editorial Board, will make the final decision of acceptance for all manuscripts.
- For papers the editors will make an initial determination of whether the submission fits the mission of Replaying Japan. Papers that do will then be reviewed following a double-blind process where both the author’s name and reviewers’ names are secret.
- Editors may request that the author(s) revise the manuscript.
- Unless there are special restrictions, all articles will be published in print and also be published on the Internet through the Ritsumeikan University institutional repository. The articles will be published with a “CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 (Display-Non-Profit-Prohibition of Modification 4.0 International)” license.
For inquiries and submissions
Ritsumeikan Center for Game Studies, Ritsumeikan University (Kinugasa Research Office)